Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Best Blog post today - punchline included!

I found this gem by Barbara Merritt on UU World. It's an excerpt from Amethyst Beach: Meditations, copyright 2007 by Barbara Merritt (Skinner House Books). Read down to the last line.

...

The thing I found most remarkable about the vehicle in front of us was that we owned it. My husband and younger son were driving our Jeep up to Maine, and we followed. After staring at our car for some miles, and noticing the attention it was attracting from drivers-by, I decided that this was an auspicious moment to have a discussion with my older child about “nonmaterialism.” I explained, trying to keep a straight face, that his father and I were dedicated to an ethic of simplicity, diminishing consumption, and intentional reduction in material accumulation.

My son greeted this pronouncement with hysterical laughter. Even I had to chuckle. But I was persistent, and after his raucous laughter subsided, I explained how, throughout our married life we had, both of us, consistently chosen jobs that paid less, even when we were offered positions that paid more; how we had invested our modest resources into education and travel rather than in real estate and furniture; and how we tried constantly to decrease our dependence and reliance on material wealth. Notwithstanding the visual evidence to the contrary, we were working to simplify our lifestyle.

Robert listened to everything I said, and then he replied, “I understand Mom. You and Dad are nonmaterialistic. You just aren’t very good at it.”
Classic.

2 comments:

Lizard Eater said...

Oooh, that's a good one!

Anonymous said...

Glad you liked it! Unfortunately, you can't post the full text on your blog without violating copyright. A short passage with a link to the full text is perfectly acceptable.