Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Lay Ministry

I have put my name in the hat for Lay Ministry at UUCA. I have a past history for helping people spiritually as a Shaman and being a leader, so I am very excited about using my history to do good work at UUCA. I had an interview tonight with a Lay Minister and a Professional Minister (who also was a Lay Minister before going pro). The interview has really excited me about the prospect, and I will sit on pins and needles until they decide who will be selected to join the program. I worry that my age and newness to UU will be an issue.

They brought up some interesting points like my role in the church changing. As a lay minister, I would not be as free to voice a dissenting opinion or take a position. It reminds me when I took a jump from technical person to management the first time (I eventually went back to being technical, but ironically I am making jump back into management). As a manager I was asked to be sure to understand the goals of the company and to save disagreement of those goals to be discussed with other managers. I believe that this is what they were trying to convey. I do see the need for this. The position of a congregation could have a much larger impact on someone's life than a change in company policy. Some might think the welcoming nature of UU allows for public dissent. This may be true, but when you are building a foundation of trust for a congregation, you need to represent a united message. So that people can can faith in the organization as well as the people running it. There's place for dissent, but to do with the staff so to not cause confusion in the congregation.

The other thing that seemed interesting to me is to what degree UU can help people with they need it. I read A Faith for All Seasons by William R. Murry over the extended weekend and it highlighted ways that UU can help those needing big questions answered. It gave ways of applying the 7 principles to give a strong foundation to really allow someone to heal. This has really peaked my interest in pastoral care. I thought I would be doing more leadership type activities, since that is my strong suit, but this stuff is very powerful, at least to me. I can't wait to read more as I go through the lay ministry program. I hope to learn enough to make UU resonate for most people, no matter their background.

I do hope that I will be a part of the ministry staff at UUCA, because I am very excited about being a UU and being a member of UUCA. With a new senior minister starting this fall, there will great things happening at UUCA and I want to help make it happen.

No comments: