Thursday, December 13, 2007

New Age Frauds & Plastic Shamans

I found an interesting website today, NAFPS: New Age Frauds & Plastic Shamans. This site is great, because when I was a teenager I hungered for knowledge about American Indian spirituality. I almost invested money into a place offering me training. Luckily for me, I found my own path by meeting a Cherokee shaman. I wish I had a site like this to help guide me back then.

Do you think you are "Indian at heart" or were an Indian in a past life? Do you admire native ways and want to incorporate them into your life and do your own version of a sweat lodge or a vision quest? Have you seen ads, books, and websites that offer to train you to be come a shaman in an easy number of steps, a few days on the weekend, or for a fee?

Have you really thought this all the way through? Have you thought about how native people feel about what you might want to do?

Please think about these important points before you take that fateful step and expend time, money, and emotional investment:

Native people DO NOT believe it is ethical to charge money for any ceremony or teaching. Any who charge you even a penny are NOT authentic.

Native traditionalists believe the ONLY acceptable way to transmit traditional teachings is orally and face-to-face. Any allegedly traditional teachings in books or on websites are NOT authentic.

Learning medicine ways takes decades and must be done with great caution and patience out of respect for the sacred. Any offer to teach you all you need to know in a weekend seminar or two is wishful thinking at best, fraud at worst.

1 comment:

twopeanuts said...

"Do you admire native ways and want to incorporate them into your life and do your own version of a sweat lodge or a vision quest?"

Yes!!! So I made a Tipi - lived in the woods for over a year - went on several vision quests.

In the end I asked myself - what was I left with? What did I learn? Why did a do it? Was it worth it? All Monkey brained... etc....

A medicine bag with some sacred Indian springs water - a little Tibetan mandala sand in a plastic bag - the appreciation of cheese grits over an open fire surrounded by snow - and enough memory lapse to forget the down sides? SFYM.