Wednesday, January 9, 2008

My First Vespers (TM)

Tonight, along with Rev. Marti Keller, I did my first Vespers service. Because of Leo's surgery, I wasn't able to plan as well as I had hoped, but it went very well. Marti did the homily, but I did everything else: opening words, selected the music, meditation, joys and concerns, and closing words. I am feeling more comfortable in a church setting as time goes on. I have done tons of public speaking and teaching, but never in a church. So this is a great learning experience.

If anyone reading was there tonight, please feel free to give me frank feedback. I appreciate all opinions, no matter how brash.

I am also realizing that I do better with notes and speaking off the cuff, that trying to write out all the wording ahead of time. That might be different when I actually write a homily or sermon, but for other things I think I'll stick with my normal way of presenting. I only tried to write everything out because I noticed that was the way that others presented. I respected their message, so I tried their style. We'll see... I still may to do for longer speeches.

I feel accomplished. Joining the Lay Ministry was way outside my realm of possibilities a year or two ago. It's feeling right and it looks like I might be able to do it well.

No comments: